Friday, April 30, 2010

DAILY DIFFERENCE DEVOTION 04/30/2010

And Jesus saith unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered.  But after that I am risen, I will go before you into Galilee. But Peter said unto him, Although all shall be offended, yet [will] not I. And Jesus saith unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this day, [even] in this night, before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice. But he spake the more vehemently, If I should die with thee, I will not deny thee in any wise. Likewise also said they all. (Mark 14:27-31)

WARNING: DO NOT DEFECT GOD’S WORD BECAUSE YOU’RE RIGHT

We are in the times when many have a strong beliefs in something.  Recently, I have seen many people battling over whether going to a church (institutionalized or house) is correct.  I have played my part in this debate as well with friends and fellow Christians, who wholeheartedly believe they have the truth of what God teaches.  But that is not what this devotional is about.  I am confident both sides believe what they believe is right.  That’s not the danger; the real danger is in us deflecting from God’s Word. What?

There is a pride I have, and practically all Christians have had at one time or another.  This pride is the “I’m-right” pride.  It is a pride which can go against what scripture is saying while at the same time supposedly attempting to validate what scripture says.  It is not very recognizable if you have it; so if you’re thinking you know who this is referring to, it is referring to every Christian.  That means you, me, and all who read this as servants of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Peter had this form of pride which manifested itself to challenge what Jesus Christ had said in verse 27.  Peter heard what Christ had said yet he really believed that he wasn’t going to deny Him.  He thought he was right although Jesus Christ said he was completely wrong.  Verse 31, even more proves Peter believed in his insubordination of Jesus Christ Word.  Ek perissos is the transliteration of the word ‘insistently’ in the Greek.  This means that Peter spoke more abundantly as if trying to really prove he would not deny Jesus Christ.  But we all know that he did later on.  Jesus told him of his denial and he boldly opposed.

Now if you’re thinking like me; this is scary.  What possibly in my life could I be believe I am right about and really I am not?  Good question, you’re now in the direction of humility God wants you in (James 4:6).  Begin from there and receive God’s grace.  Examine what you believe.  Does scripture validate that belief?  Does the Word of God really teach that?  If not, and you still cannot let go that YOU are correct: warning my friend, you may deflect from God’s Word. Let God be true, and every man a liar (Romans 3:4).

I know this is hard to swallow, but swallow it please.  You must come to an understanding that you are a debauched man; and man is fallible.  There is not one Christian on this earth that is right about every single issue he/she believes.  Somewhere in your walk, you are going to say something crazy, or believe something that is wrong.  Humble yourself during these times and do not deflect from the Lord Jesus Christ.

Some Scriptures references: Proverbs 12:15; 14:25; 21:5; 29:23; Matthew 23:12, Galatians 6:3, Philippians 2:1-13

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you disagree with what has been said, you may comment, yet this comment section will not become a debate forum with me. I read all comments so please as well watch your language. Comments with profanity/evil intent/threats/ads for anti-Christ websites etc will not be published. Thank you for your comments.