Wednesday, April 21, 2010

DAILY DIFFERENCE DEVOTION 04/21/2010: REMEMBER

DAILY DIFFERENCE DEVOTION 04/21/2010: REMEMBER

'But I have this against you, that you have left your first love. 'Therefore remember from where you have fallen, and repent and do the deeds you did at first; or else I am coming to you and will remove your lampstand out of its place—unless you repent. (Revelation 2:4-5 NASB)

My wife and I are famous for losing particular items.  Shannon's big thing is her keys, the item I loose the most is my metro train pass.  Usually we forget where we have placed these things.  Have you every spent half of your morning just looking for something.  If you find what you're looking for, sometimes you remember, "ohhh, I remember putting them here!"  Other times you haven't got a clue how such a thing ended up there.  A former boss of mine came to my desk confused asking me where he left his glasses.  I laughed and then pointed to his front pocket in which at that time he remembered he had stuck them there.

When reading this text in Revelation, God gives the Ephesians three things they must do to return to their devotion to Jesus Christ.  The first admonition is to remember where they have fallen.  The Greek transliteration for remember is mnēmoneuō (μνημονε
ω).  This means: to call to mind, to call to another's mind, mention; then, to call to one's own mind, to remember.  Here Jesus Christ is calling the Ephesians to remember their former love for the Lord and to one another.  This remembering is similar to the prodigal son when he remembered how good it was in his father's house (Luke 15:17).

We need to bring our minds to the place we have fallen out of devotion with Jesus Christ.  For example, when did you stop praying and meditating to the Lord?  Is there an idol that came into your life?  What stopped you from reading the bible lately?  Who's got your attention, and when did they get it? Then when you see the sin that has set you off course from the Lord Jesus, fall on your face and repent.  Cry out to the Lord Jesus.  Remember my friends; remember from where you have fallen.   

Some Scriptures references: Psalm 51, 119:55-56, Luke 15:11-32, John 16:4, Hebrews 12:1-2
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you disagree with what has been said, you may comment, yet this comment section will not become a debate forum with me. I read all comments so please as well watch your language. Comments with profanity/evil intent/threats/ads for anti-Christ websites etc will not be published. Thank you for your comments.