Tuesday, February 26, 2008

How Do We Overcome?




The Dilemma:
Every person who is named under the name of the Lord Jesus Christ battles with sin. If not, then the question is, are you truly in the Lord Jesus Christ? Sin effects every Christian, no matter how much you seek and stay in the Word of God, sin will come knocking at your door some. There’s not one Christian who lives holy 24hrs a day. Remember what the scriptures say:

Psalm 5:9 For there is no faithfulness in their mouth; their inward part is very wickedness; their throat is an open sepulchre; they flatter with their tongue.

Psalm 14:2-3 The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God. They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Isaiah 59:1-8 Behold, the LORD'S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear: But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear. For your hands are defiled with blood, and your fingers with iniquity; your lips have spoken lies, your tongue hath muttered perverseness. None calleth for justice, nor any pleadeth for truth: they trust in vanity, and speak lies; they conceive mischief, and bring forth iniquity. They hatch cockatrice' eggs, and weave the spider's web: he that eateth of their eggs dieth, and that which is crushed breaketh out into a viper. Their webs shall not become garments, neither shall they cover themselves with their works: their works are works of iniquity, and the act of violence is in their hands. Their feet run to evil, and they make haste to shed innocent blood: their thoughts are thoughts of iniquity; wasting and destruction are in their paths. The way of peace they know not; and there is no judgment in their goings: they have made them crooked paths: whosoever goeth therein shall not know peace.

Romans 7:14-25 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

1John 1:8,10 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us…If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

The scripture proves that there’s a universal guilt and that a Christian can sin (but not habitually). So how do we escape this? How do we overcome this? How to we stop making excuses all the time (it feels like this) and start living for the Lord Jesus Christ? Will there ever be a moment that we will live defeating consistently the sin that's against us?


THE LORD JESUS CHRIST: The Solution

The Lord Jesus Christ is the solution, He is the only begotten Son of the Father, He is our way out of this sin mess. In the scriptures, the Lord Jesus Christ testifies to us that He is the way out of sin. Here’s what we must do as true believers of the Lord Jesus:

Matthew 11:28-30 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

We must bring this sin to the Lord Jesus Christ and leave it with Him. We’ve got to be honest with our God (He knows if we’re lying). The believer in Jesus Christ must leave that which besets him with the Lord. How do you leave something with Jesus Christ our Lord?

1John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Confessing our sins to God is how we give it to Him. Then, the Lord God will be faithful and just to cleanse us from all that is not right. Confessing doesn’t mean just saying it to the Lord, but involves repentance. David found this out. Why because when we realize that we have sinned, the Lord would have brought conviction. Yes conviction and this conviction is from the Word of God piercing your heart. Don’t believe me, the scriptures say so:

Psalm 32:1-11 <> Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile. When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long. For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah. I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. For this shall every one that is godly pray unto thee in a time when thou mayest be found: surely in the floods of great waters they shall not come nigh unto him. Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah. I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye. Be ye not as the horse, or as the mule, which have no understanding: whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle, lest they come near unto thee. Many sorrows shall be to the wicked: but he that trusteth in the LORD, mercy shall compass him about. Be glad in the LORD, and rejoice, ye righteous: and shout for joy, all ye that are upright in heart.



The hand of God was heavy upon David for the sin he committed. We must realize that the just and loving Lord Jesus Christ doesn’t take sin lightly. He doesn’t sit there and allow you to sin and you not hear about His righteousness in some form or fashion. Check out these additional scriptures to see that our Lord corrects us and how He feels about sin. (Deuteronomy 9:7, 25:16; Proverbs 3:7,11-12; 1 Samuel 2: 11-36; Isaiah 13:11; Jeremiah 44:4,11; Amos 3:2; Matthew 23; John 2:12-22; Hebrews 12:4-13; Revelation 2, 3, 18:5)



REPENTANCE: Our part

Repentance is our part. This is what we must do, we must repent. Repentance means to change, to turn around, and to move in a different direction. We have to repent from our thoughts of sin. We must change our thinking and see sin for what it is: God hates it, we should hate it too.

Romans 12:1-2 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

A Christian mind should be that one that is sold out for the Lord Jesus Christ. We should in no ways love sin. Jesus doesn’t and neither should we. I know beloved, there are many proclaiming to love Jesus Christ, yet living for the world. Loving the things of this world and hating the things of God. Once Sunday morning comes, it’s all about God.

Look beloved, I have myself done the same thing, and I knew nothing of who Jesus Christ was. Growing up in Catholic school, attending a Methodist church, and singing on the gospel choir in college, I’ve had my many years of religion. And I will say, there was no knowledge of who the Lord Jesus Christ was. Much shouting and hollering His Glorious name, but the man was depraved in need of the Lord Jesus Christ.


Now, beloved, we must remember we have an Advocate, the Lord Jesus Christ. Let us lay aside the sin that besets us, and let us live for the Lord Jesus Christ. Let’s repent from sin, and turn to the True Living God, Jesus Christ of the bible. God bless.


Hebrew 12:1-29 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds. Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin. And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness. Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby. Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees; And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled; Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright. For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears. For ye are not come unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest, And the sound of a trumpet, and the voice of words; which voice they that heard intreated that the word should not be spoken to them any more: (For they could not endure that which was commanded, And if so much as a beast touch the mountain, it shall be stoned, or thrust through with a dart: And so terrible was the sight, that Moses said, I exceedingly fear and quake:) But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel. See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven: Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven. And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain. Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear: For our God is a consuming fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you disagree with what has been said, you may comment, yet this comment section will not become a debate forum with me. I read all comments so please as well watch your language. Comments with profanity/evil intent/threats/ads for anti-Christ websites etc will not be published. Thank you for your comments.