Monday, June 28, 2010

DAILY DIFFERENCE DEVOTION 06/28/2010

Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma. (EPHESIANS 5:1-2 NASB)

"REAL RELIGION: Following The Examples part 2"

Okay, Jesus Christ is our first and highest example to follow; the question is how do we follow Him?  The normative answers we give are through prayer, reading the Word, and focusing on Him. Yes, these are true indeed.  Do these things by walking in the Spirit of God; and you will be following the example of Jesus Christ!  In the process of following Him, we must develop an understanding of following first.  We cannot know about prayer, remembering the Word of God and keeping a mind on Christ without first understanding following.  The text in 1st Peter 2 gives us a great example:

For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps,
(1 Peter 2:21 NASB)

The word for follow in the Greek is
πακολουθω epakoloutheō.  This means to accompany or follow after.  It denotes in this context about following after the footsteps of Jesus Christ.  It is saying to tread in Christ footsteps i.e. to imitate His example.  The context of which Peter is alluding to is in being buffeted for doing well in Jesus Christ.  Some of things we are to imitate in this persecution are in verses 22-23 – (seek not to sin, let not corrupt communication come from your mouth, to revile back in revenge, don't threaten and look to God who judges righteously).  Jesus Christ did these things, we must imitate this example when under persecution. 

We must follow the examples Christ gives to us in scripture.  We should pattern our lives after Christ.  Not seek to perform miracles; for then we are not looking at Christ but at miracles itself.  No, look at what Jesus did in obedience and follow that.  Now that is understanding truly what following after Christ is.  I leave you with a scripture example below, God bless.

I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every [branch] that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye [are] the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.  If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast [them] into the fire, and they are burned. If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples. As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. (John 15:1-10) 

1 comment:

  1. Praise be to Christ the one true Son . please check out our site @thegreatearthquake.com

    ReplyDelete

If you disagree with what has been said, you may comment, yet this comment section will not become a debate forum with me. I read all comments so please as well watch your language. Comments with profanity/evil intent/threats/ads for anti-Christ websites etc will not be published. Thank you for your comments.