Friday, September 11, 2009

When Terror Strikes!!!!!

I remember when the two airplanes hit the twin towers; I was sitting in my office wondering what I had just entered into.  I was a babe in Christ, new to the faith, and I was wondering about life.  Then suddenly a report came through about a plane hitting the Pentagon.  Panic began to break out in my office and I received a phone call from a friend telling me to leave the building.  I looked out my office and could see the smoke arising, although I was several miles away, the smoke from the Pentagon looked so close to me.  I too, not knowing fully to rely on Jesus Christ, slipped out and rushed home in fear to my apartment.  I remember while I was leaving seeing one so-called Christian lady acting hysterical.  She was screaming about what she was going to do.  I watched a Christian man approach her in peace, saying “if we die, praise God” (Philippians 1:21) and he encouraged her not to get worried.  I thought for a minute to myself, “is that supposed to be my response as a Christian?”  Should I be getting afraid, running like a chicken with its head cut off?  I think not!

So that we may boldly say, The Lord [is] my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me. (Hebrews 13:6)

 

As a man, I should not let fear consume me during times of terror and fright. I must learn the Lord is my helper.  In the times of trouble, I can draw near to the strength of the Lord.  Christ Jesus teaches us that a Christian’s response during troubled times is not be one that has lost his mind.  I know people obsessed with what the government is seeking to control us, and all this last days fear tactic hoopla, it has began to make me wonder why we get so caught up in this mess during perilious times (2 Timothy 3:1).  In times of terror and fright, we need to put our trust in the Lord Jesus Christ.  When fear is trying to overcome us, our faith should be directed towards the Lord Jesus Christ.

Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this [will] I [be] confident. One [thing] have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.  For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock.
(Psalms 27:3-5)

You don’t understand Karsten, I get really scared.  What human being doesn’t get scared?  What human being doesn’t become afraid.  Let’s look at Jesus Christ our Lord, who mind you became our propitiation for our sin, suffered tremendous distress before going to the cross.  The terror was upon Him, listen:

And he came out, and went, as he was wont, to the mount of Olives; and his disciples also followed him. And when he was at the place, he said unto them, Pray that ye enter not into temptation. And he was withdrawn from them about a stone's cast, and kneeled down, and prayed, Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.  And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him. And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground. (Luke 22:39-44)

Although this text is debated by some as being authentic (Bart Erhman “The Angel and the Agony: The Textual Problem of Luke 22:43-44,”), let us glean from this truth of this scripture.  Jesus Christ was in agony.  He had experienced a condition known as hematidrosis, where during times of high pressure the effusion of blood is mixed with perspiration.  Jesus Christ was not battling the will of the Father; He was expressing normal humanity in shrinking from the cup of divine wrath.  He was highly stressed yet He continued on through completing the task (Philippians 2:8).  That is exactly what we must do when the terror is on.  When they come and take your house and throw you in jail for being a Christian, continue on until the end in the name of the Lord.  Be strong and look to Christ when the terror is all around you, or surrounding you. Be of good cheer, Christ has overcome (John 16:33).

Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.  There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. (1 John 4:17-18)

 

When we love Jesus Christ, and make our volitional decisions based on Him, the fear is cast out from us.  Look at it in the context of 1 John 4.  Here, the John the Apostle is writing to Christians who were overcome with fear.  They had false teachers around them and others that brought them into a state of fear.  It is awesome how the Apostle directs their focus: BECAUSE HE IS.  He put there attention right back on Jesus Christ.  This is the very action and stance we should take when this world goes completely south.  We should love the Lord Jesus Christ and our neighbors.  We should be continuing to do the will of God.  When people are freaking, we’re not freaking.  We are continuing to shine the Light of Jesus Christ!  Don’t fear, don’t freak out, trust in the Lord Jesus Christ.

And there was a day when his sons and his daughters [were] eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house: And there came a messenger unto Job, and said, The oxen were plowing, and the asses feeding beside them: And the Sabeans fell [upon them], and took them away; yea, they have slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee. While he [was] yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The fire of God is fallen from heaven, and hath burned up the sheep, and the servants, and consumed them; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.  While he [was] yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The Chaldeans made out three bands, and fell upon the camels, and have carried them away, yea, and slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.  While he [was] yet speaking, there came also another, and said, Thy sons and thy daughters [were] eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house: And, behold, there came a great wind from the wilderness, and smote the four corners of the house, and it fell upon the young men, and they are dead; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.  Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped,  And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD. In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.  (Job 1:13-22)


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you disagree with what has been said, you may comment, yet this comment section will not become a debate forum with me. I read all comments so please as well watch your language. Comments with profanity/evil intent/threats/ads for anti-Christ websites etc will not be published. Thank you for your comments.